Freddie Mac is a government-sponsored enterprise chartered by Congress to provide a continuous flow of funds for residential mortgages. We achieve our public purpose by purchasing, securitizing, and investing in home mortgages, in effect acting as a conduit between the residential mortgage market and the investment community. We may receive personal information about you in the ordinary course of carrying out our business. We are committed to protecting the privacy of this information.
This policy describes the types of personally identifiable information we receive and maintain in the ordinary course of business (Covered Information) and what we do with that information. This policy also describes how we safeguard that information. Freddie Mac may provide links to third-party websites which have differing privacy and security practices. The policy does not apply to information that may be collected by third parties through websites that link to or from this website.
We reserve the right to change this policy in the future. Any changes to this policy will be posted on this section of the website. When this policy is updated, the date of the update will appear at the bottom of this page. In addition, a copy of this policy is available upon request by writing to Freddie Mac, Chief Privacy Officer, 8200 Jones Branch Drive, Mailstop 434, McLean, Virginia 22102-3110 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our website is not directed to individuals under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that information is or has been submitted by or collected from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information.
Personally Identifiable Information We Receive and Maintain in the Ordinary Course of Our Business
- We receive Covered Information about borrowers and loan applicants when we engage in our secondary market activities. For example, we may receive Covered Information (such as income information, payment history, social security number, and other information provided by consumer reporting agencies, mortgage lenders, and dealers) when evaluating whether to purchase a loan, when consummating the purchase of a loan, or when reviewing information about loans in which we already have an interest.
- We collect Covered Information from brokers and third party originator direct principals and directors who register for our proprietary services, such as Loan Prospector, or from individuals seeking bulk sales information from the HomeSteps program.
- We receive Covered Information from individuals interested in pursuing employment with Freddie Mac.
- We receive Covered Information from borrowers and other individuals who choose to contact us and provide us with information, including information we receive through this website and from voluntary surveys offered on this website.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information We Receive Through This Website (Website Visitor Information)
If you visit this website to read or download information, we collect and store the following information: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet, such as aol.com; the Internet protocol address of the host server you are using, such as ww3.aol.com; the name and version of your Web browser, such as Internet Explorer; the date and time you access this website; and if you came to us through a link from some other website, the Internet address of the website from which you linked to us.
Some parts of this website may use a "cookie," which is a small file that is placed on your computer or other internet-connected device. The cookie used for this website captures no personally identifiable information. This website may use a cookie in order to log which pages you visit on the website or to provide certain features during your visit to the website. You can set your browser to refuse to accept cookies; however, some features of the website may not function properly if you do this.
If you enter information into a financing or affordability calculator offered on this website (such as income, the down payment you want to make, the length of a loan you want or the price of a home you have in mind), that information is not seen or received by Freddie Mac. Your computer performs the calculator's functions and the results are displayed in your browser.
What We Do With Information Covered by This Policy
- We use and disclose Covered Information in connection with our secondary marketing activities and for other legally permissible purposes related to our business. For example, we use Covered Information to evaluate loans in which we are considering acquiring an interest and to monitor the performance of loans that we own. We also use this information to evaluate property values and predict default.
- We provide Covered Information to third parties such as loan servicers, consumer reporting agencies, workout companies, foreclosure attorneys, and technology providers to enable the third parties to perform business, professional, and technical support functions for us, our website, or you. For example, we may disclose Covered Information to third parties in order to process and administer or protect our interest in a loan.
- We use Covered Information for purposes of research related to our business, our public purpose, and this website. We may publish the results of our research but we will not publish personally identifiable information about you in connection with the research.
- We use Covered Information to establish customer relationships with brokers and third party originator direct principals and officers.
- We may disclose Covered Information related to your use of this website (some of which may be personally identifiable) to third parties who assist us with this website. This may include information you provide as part of voluntary surveys taken after visiting this site.
- We may disclose Covered Information to our regulators and as otherwise required by applicable laws and regulations. We otherwise comply with applicable laws and regulations in our use and disclosure of Covered Information.
- We may disclose Covered Information about individuals who apply for employment with Freddie Mac.
- If you send us an email or message and provide your name or other personal information, we may use this Covered Information to send an answer to your question or to deliver the requested information or service to you. We also may use this information to provide you with information in which we believe you will be interested; however, at any time, you may request that we stop doing this by contacting us in the manner described in the "How to Reach Us" section of this policy.
- We do not sell Covered Information to consumer marketing companies.
- We use Website Visitor Information for general statistical modeling, in order to measure the number of visitors to different pages on the website and to modify and enhance the website as we consider appropriate. We also use this information to monitor network traffic and to identify unauthorized access or unusual activity on the website. We may also use Website Visitor Information to help improve visitors’ overall experience.
How We Safeguard Personally Identifiable Information
Freddie Mac has administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of Covered Information that we receive, transmit and maintain, including computer files and documents that contain the information. Our standards are designed to:
- Protect the security and confidentiality of the information,
- Protect against anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of the information, and
- Protect against unauthorized access to or use of the information that could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to a borrower, consumer, or employee.
We restrict access to Covered Information to those who need to know the information for our business purposes. We destroy, erase, or make unreadable such information prior to disposal as required by applicable law. Our policies and our agreements with third parties require appropriate security and confidentiality standards to protect the confidentiality of Covered Information (including Website Visitor Information) and prohibit its unlawful disclosure.
We strive to maintain a high standard of security and privacy. However, no information can be guaranteed to be completely secure, and we make no such warranty or guarantee. In addition, we do not commit to protecting publicly available or non-confidential information except as may be required by applicable law or regulation.
Special Statement Regarding the "Does Freddie Mac Own Your Mortgage?" Web Form and Self–Service Tool
In connection with the federal Making Home Affordable program, Freddie Mac provides a web form and related self-service tool on Freddiemac.com that enables individual borrowers to determine whether or not Freddie Mac owns their mortgage (the "Look-up Tool"). In order for Freddie Mac to be able to respond to those inquiries, individuals are asked to provide information that includes the last four digits of their Social Security Number, first name, last name, property-related information and contact information.
Freddie Mac uses and discloses the information (excluding Social Security Number) collected via the Look-up Tool only (i) to respond to the individual's inquiry, (ii) to provide services and fulfill Freddie Mac's obligations under the federal Making Home Affordable program and similar programs, and (iii) in connection with other loss mitigation activities. All information that you enter into the Look-up Tool is transmitted from the Look-up Tool to Freddie Mac via an encrypted communication channel.
We do not store, use or distribute the last four digits of your Social Security Number collected via the Look-up Tool for any purpose other than to respond to the inquiry.
How to Reach Us
If you have a question about the way your information is used or about our information practices, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com.
Last updated: September 9, 2014